There are so many things to consider when you’re choosing a retirement community that you may not know where to begin. Relax and take a deep breath. Then, get started by asking yourself a few simple questions:
1. Where do I want to live?Do you want to stay in the area you’ve lived in for years or plan a retirement relocation? How important is it to be near family and friends? Do you prefer an urban area or something more rural? All three of Ingleside’s Life Plan Communities feature fabulous locations in the Washington, DC, area, and each has its own unique charms. Ingleside at Rock Creek is set in an urban oasis, with the world-class shopping, dining and culture of the District of Columbia just blocks away and the natural haven of Rock Creek Park in its backyard. Westminster at Lake Ridge is nestled in a natural sanctuary in Northern Virginia, minutes from the energy of our nation’s capital. Ingleside at King Farm is situated in the heart of King Farm, a walkable, intergenerational neighborhood with metropolitan attributes and a small-town feel.
3. What should I look for in a community?When you’re shopping for a community, you’ll want to consider location, as discussed above, as well as a host of other factors, including:
- SIZE OF COMMUNITY—How big or how small do you want your new place to be? Ingleside communities are large enough to boast a full schedule of programs and amenities, yet small enough so it’s easy to get to know your neighbors and form deep friendships.
- NOT-FOR-PROFIT VS. FOR-PROFIT STATUS—Ingleside is a not-for-profit organization, which means that profits go back into the community and toward the needs of residents, not to shareholders.
- FOUNDATION—Does the community have a foundation? What happens if I run out of money? The Westminster Ingleside Foundation serves Ingleside communities directly, assisting residents whose personal resources can no longer cover the costs of care and services, as well as special projects and programs serving the broader needs of our communities.
- LEVELS OF CARE—Before deciding on a community, you’ll want to make sure that a full continuum of care is available so that you’re protected, should your needs change in the future. Ingleside communities offer a full continuum of care, including independent living, assisted living, memory care and skilled nursing care/rehabilitation services.
Wherever you are in your journey, we have resources to help guide you. We know you might be feeling a little overwhelmed about how and where to start the search.